Home remedies for carpet stain
Carpets are an absolute must have for those wishing to spice up the interior of their house. The style and beauty that a carpet gives can never be matched with marble tiles and wooden floors. Carpets have a certain old world charm which gives a certain coziness and beauty to any room. That is why carpets always have the tag expensive attached to them. But after investing in a costly carpet when the time to show it off comes then you are suddenly besieged by a fear. The fear of you or others staining the carpet, and the ugly stain defacing the entire aura of your purchase makes you unsure whether to keep it locked up or display it on the floor. Because everybody knows how stubborn stains are. Especially if you have thrown a party and there are beverages flowing about (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic), then even a little spill can send your nerves into a haywire. To avoid such a situation it is better to learn how to get rid of stains effectively. For this you don’t need to haul the entire carpet to the dry cleaner. There are various home remedies that can effectively get rid of carpet stains. Read below to know more on some of these home remedies.
- There are certain techniques to effectively remove stains from the carpet.
- The stain must be worked on from the outside of the stain to the center.
- Scrubbing a carpet will make it worn out. So, avoid scrubbing the stain on the carpet. Instead rub the carpet or gently brush the carpet in one direction for a number of times and then do it the opposite direction. Avoid back and forth motion as it will spoil the carpet tufts.
- Use a spray bottle to spray water or any cleaning agents on the stain. Do not pour the cleaning agents directly. You can also take the cleaning liquids in a paper towel and then blot the stains.
- First soak the stain up with clean paper towels. You can also use a vacuum cleaner on the stain but only when it is dry.
- Water soluble stains can be easily removed with club soda. Drizzle a small amount of club soda on the stain without soaking the carpet. When you use club soda you do not need to rinse the carpet as it does not leave behind any residue.
- Take a little amount of rubbing alcohol in a paper towel and rub the stain. Continue to rub until the stain disappears. However, do not let the alcohol seep into the carpet backing.
- Take two cups of warm water and then mix one teaspoon of liquid detergent in it. Pour this solution in a spray bottle and then spray it on the stain. Then use a paper towel to soak in the excess liquid. Continue spraying and soaking until the stain disappears.
- Take one cup of warm water and mix it with ¼ cup of ammonia. Spray it on the stain and gently rub with a paper towel. Since ammonia is a bleaching agent it should be used on very light colors.
- The acidic property of vinegar makes it a very good stain remover. Mix ¼ cup of white vinegar in one cup of warm water. Spray it on to the stain and leave it for a couple of minutes. Then rinse.
- Hydrogen peroxide also effectively removes the stains from the carpet. Mix one part of hydrogen peroxide in three parts of warm water. Spray it onto the stain and then blot the excess moisture. Continue spraying and blotting until the stain disappears.